An oligopoly is a marketing strategy structured by a few large firms dominating the industry or, per se, who control a large percentage of market share. There are many oligopolies, but we can use oligopoly when we refer to fewer firms. These firms come together to dominate their industry. This also contributes to higher demands for the products or services of these firms. These firms will charge higher rates for their products or services, and prices will be way too expensive for new entrants in the market.
Never confuse oligopoly with monopoly. Both are very different things. A monopoly is defined as a government-granted right over the entire industry. And we have seen that oligopoly is the result of market competition. But they have one common factor: both can lead to less competition, which will result in high prices and fewer choices for consumers.
Table of Contents
What is an oligopoly market?
An oligopoly market is highly competitive, with few firms dominating the sales of different products and services. Large companies drive the demand for that product or service by dealing with the sellers for prices and distribution volumes.
One of the significant advantages of oligopolies is that when different firms come together, there is a considerable contribution to innovation. But in a few cases, scanning also leads to confusion because this group needs a proper market leader.
Factors that help enable an oligopoly to form within a market?
- Entering an oligopoly market is difficult since there are many barriers to new forms and vast competition. These barriers include complex regulatory requirements, higher costs, economies favoring larger firms, and well-established brand loyalty.
- In this market, you need control over essential resources such as distribution networks or materials. This will help you get a competitive edge and make it challenging for other firms to secure their necessary resources.
- The only mindset you need to have is to maximize the profit of your business, so when making decisions about pricing production and other strategies, you need to keep this in mind.
- You can use advertising as one of the significant resources for your growth hand to create a competitive edge for your competitors who have limited resources so they cannot compete with you effectively.
- When we talk about oligopoly marketing, it usually engages in product differentiation Tactics so that their products appear different from their competitors.
- Being aware that the actions of competitors will lead to stable marketing outcomes is an excellent approach to oligopoly marketing.
Type of power a marketing leader has in an Oligopoly Market
Marketing leaders in an oligopoly hold significant influence within the industry, such as:
- Marketing Share
- Pricing power
- Advertising and branding
- Response to competitive threats
These are some of the factors that enable oligopoly to form within the market or in this specific industry. However, oligopolistic will provide stability and innovative invention in a few cases and help reduce competition. But it will be difficult for customers since they can have potentially higher prices. So it would be best if you revaluated your decision in oligopoly.